Popcorn = life.
We’re back in the states and I’m feeling serious vacation hangover. I wish we could have stayed in Belize for just a little while longer! I just keep reminding myself that we took a shorter honeymoon so we can take some more big vacations later this year…It will all have been worth it in the end!
Right now all I want to do is sit on the couch with a big bowl of this Healthier Hurricane Popcorn and sift through all of our wedding and honeymoon photos. Do I really have to adult today?
Regardless of whether or not we have to face the real world again, I’m definitely going to be popping up some of this deliciousness today. Who here has ever even heard of Hurricane Popcorn? If you’ve ever spent a significant amount of time in Hawaii (or just gone to see a movie while visiting), you’ll likely have heard of Hurricane Popcorn. It’s essentially extra-buttery popcorn tossed with furikake (one of my absolute favorite Asian ingredients made up of nori, sesame seeds, and other seasonings) and arare (a.k.a. Japanese rice crackers.)
If you’ve never heard of or don’t have any idea where to find things like furikake or arare, have no fear. Both are available on Amazon (as is everything else under the sun.) So there really are no excuses not to stuff your face with this Healthier Hurricane Popcorn right away!
Seriously, this stuff is like crack. Once you start eating it, you’ll hardly notice that 5 minutes later you just MIGHT have eaten the whole bag. And you have the buttery fingers to prove it. Now aren’t you glad I’ve come up with a healthier version for you?
It’s a SUPER easy swap: I simply used coconut oil instead of butter! Not only is it healthier, but it adds an extra-tropical touch to a recipe that’s already associated with warm weather and humidity.
Here’s how we do it:
We pop up some plain popcorn in a pan and use coconut oil to pop instead of the usual peanut or canola oil one might use.
After the corn is popped, we add just a little more coconut oil and the furikake and give it a good toss.
Lastly, we toss in the arare and eat up all of the Healthier Hurricane Popcorn immediately!
Pretty easy, right? Healthy, delicious, addicting…This is the perfect “I can’t adult today recipe.” Now, if you’re looking for me, I’ll be sitting on the couch with a giant bowl of this and putting off any work I should be getting done today.
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil liquid state, divided
- 6 tablespoons popcorn kernels
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon furikake
- ½ cup arare
- Heat 3 tablespoons of coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add a couple of unpopped popcorn kernels to the pan. Once they pop, add the rest of the kernels.
- Cover pan with a lid and shake gently over heat to ensure as many kernels as possible get popped. Once you no longer hear popping, remove pan from heat.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of coconut oil and furikake to the popped corn. Toss to coat.
- Finally, stir in the arare.
If you liked this recipe, you might also like:
- Furikake Hashbrowns with Kalua Pork and Kimchi
- Li Hing Pineapple Margarita
- Ahi Poke Salad with Macadamia Nuts
This post contains affiliate links. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.