This one goes out to all of my moms out there. Consider this Honey-Orange Upside Down Cake with Honey-Bourbon Whipped Cream my personal gift to you to thank you for all of your hard work and dedication.
I’m not yet a mom myself, but I have MAD respect for all of you out there who are. I have so many mamas in my life – friends that are moms, family members that are moms, soon-to-be family members that are moms (and of course, most importantly, my mom) – I see on a daily basis what hard, yet rewarding, work it is. I look forward to the day that I join the ranks but, for now, I’ll stick with showering all the moms I know with delicious treats like this one.
This Honey-Orange Upside Down Cake with Honey-Bourbon Whipped Cream is one for the books. No joke. The cake is dense, syrupy, and fruity, and the light-as-air whipped cream is the perfect contrast with that little hint of boozy flavor. If you think about it, it’s sweet (as moms undoubtedly need to be) but has that extra kick that proves we’re not messing around.
And let me tell you a little bit about this sweetness. This sweetness comes from the amazing Heavenly Organics line of honeys which have become my absolute favorite as of late. You may have noticed I already started sneaking them into recipes like this Spring Kale Salad with Honey-Tahini Dressing, because I just can’t NOT use them when I’m looking for that little hint of sweetness. They come in three flavors: Acacia Honey, White Honey and Neem Honey, and all of them are fab. The Acacia Honey is more your classic honey, light and drizzly with a slight tang, it’s perfect for everyday use because it blends in easily to anything. The White Honey is creamier, with a more floral hint to it, and the Neem Honey is the thickest, most robust…perfect to serve on a giant cheese platter!
The other HUGE reason why I love Heavenly Organics honeys is because they are all ethically farmed. Guys, this is really big. I’m sure you’ve heard all the buzz lately (sorry, pun intended) about how all of our bees are disappearing because of unethical farming practices, smoke outs, etc. Well, Heavenly Organics is soooo not about that. Their honeys are collected from naturally occurring, wild beehives using smoke-free methods that not only protect the bee colonies, but also prevent forest fires.
Even better, these honeys are produced by worker-owned cooperatives in remote and conflict-ridden areas such as Northern and Central India and the Himalayas, helping to better these communities and create long-lasting, sustainable economies. Is Heavenly Organics awesome or are they awesome? You know I’m all about that balance, so I am totally behind this company and their message.
So let’s get to this Honey-Orange Upside Down Cake with Honey-Bourbon Whipped Cream using not one, but TWO of these amazing products. Because of its delicious creaminess and floral notes, I used the White Honey as the “glue” to hold the orange slices on to the bottom/top of the cake. And for the whipped cream, I used the ever-so-versatile Acacia Honey for its easy blendability.
Not only is this cake absolutely delicious, it is incredibly easy to make (the most difficult part is slicing the oranges) and, best part ever, it’s perfectly fitting for breakfast, brunch, or dessert. I mean, it involves Greek yogurt and fruit which makes it pretty much a health food, right? And this means you’re covered no matter how you’ll be celebrating all of the moms in your life this weekend. Now hurry up and get to baking! We only have a whole day devoted to celebrating these fabulous human beings once a year, after all 😉
- 2/3 cup honey – I prefer Heavenly Organics White Honey
- 2 oranges peeled and sliced into thin wheels (not wedges)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon honey – I prefer Heavenly Organics Acacia Honey
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Line bottom of sprayed pan with parchment paper, then spray top of parchment paper with cooking spray one more time.
- Spread White Honey on bottom of cake pan, carefully making sure it reaches as far to the sides as possible without moving the parchment paper. Place orange wheels atop honey in bottom of cake pan. Set aside.
- Next, make the batter. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate, medium mixing bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, yogurt, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla. Using a hand mixer, mix until these ingredients are combined, then mix in the dry ingredients.
- Once all ingredients are incorporated, pour batter into prepared cake pan. Place in 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes, then invert onto a cake plate to finish cooling.
- To make the whipped cream, combine heavy whipping cream, vanilla and bourbon in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Mix at medium-high speed for at least 5 minutes, or until the mixture resembles whipped cream. Serve alongside slices of cake.
A whole lotta sweet love right there.
This post was created in partnership with Heavenly Organics. Although I did receive product in exchange for this post, all thoughts and opinions are my own. I truly LOVE Heavenly Organics products and their mission so I am honored to work with such an amazing company!