We’re doing this season right with allll of the late summer flavors.
And this Honey, Peach & Basil Two-Cheese Grilled Cheese is helping us get there.
It seems like now that I don’t have wedding planning taking over every spare second of every day, my eyes have finally opened up to all of the beautiful produce that’s abounding at the Farmer’s Markets and grocery stores this summer. I feel so lucky to live in a place that has pretty decent produce available all year round, but there’s something really special and exciting about going out and buying a fruit or vegetable that’s at the peak of its season, fresh off the tree or out of the ground.
For example, you can buy a peach at the store here in California (almost) 365 days a year, but do the December peaches that have likely been shipped from somewhere south of the equator REALLY taste as good as the mid-August peaches that were just plucked from the orchard earlier that day? I think not.
That being said, I’ve not only been hoarding figs (as I mentioned in Friday’s post about this Rosemary, Fig & Date Tequila Smash), but I’ve also been hoarding peaches. Big, fat, juicy peaches. And they have been doing me right, let me tell you. So, naturally, my brain has been churning with ideas of how to use them in anything and everything.
Let me back up for a minute before I get into this delicious, indulgent, season-friendly Honey, Peach & Basil Two-Cheese Grilled Cheese. In case I haven’t filled you in on the latest, the hubs had his Achilles surgery last Monday, so my nurse and TLC duties have been on point for the past week. As we all know, surgery and “going under” take a lot out of you (says the gal who’s gone under for knee surgery oh, just five times.) Not only do you wake up with someone having cut you open somewhere, but often the anesthesiology is just as hard to recover from, making you feel nauseated and icky once you wake up.
My poor man most definitely experienced this, so his appetite was touch-and-go there for a few days. One of the only things that sounded good to him was bread and cheese in any form. So of course I jetted off to our corner bakery to pick up some delicious multigrain bread, and stopped in at our neighborhood TJ’s to grab some cheese. It was on the way home that the light bulb went off in my head. I had peaches on hand, I had basil on hand (stay tuned for another recipe with LOTS of basil!) and now I had delicious bread and cheese on hand. The Honey, Peach & Basil Two-Cheese Grilled Cheese was born.
In a sense, this sandwich is modeled after a take on the caprese salad, using peaches instead of tomatoes. But of course I had to jazz it up a bit. For the second cheese, I decided to crumble on some pungent, salty bleu cheese to counteract the soft, smooth and buttery taste of the fresh mozzarella. Then, to top it all off, of course I had to drizzle on some honey (because honey + bleu cheese + peaches = HEAVEN.)
Guys. Do yourself a favor here. Go out and buy all of these ingredients ASAP and turn on your griddle. You are NOT going to want to miss this. This Honey, Peach & Basil Two-Cheese Grilled Cheese is seriously the perfect flavor trifecta. We have the savory, we have the buttery, we have the salty, we have the sweet. Plus, it takes almost no time at all to make! Feeling overwhelmed with kids back in school and no time to get dinner on the table? Make these sammies and have a delicious, late-summer meal on the table in under 20 minutes. Trust me, once you join the Honey, Peach & Basil Two-Cheese Grilled Cheese club, there’s no turning back.
- 2 slices multigrain bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 2.5 ounces sliced yellow peach
- 8 fresh basil leaves cut in a chiffonade
- 1 ounce crumbled bleu cheese
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Place a griddle, cast iron skillet or sauté pan on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Place bread in toaster and toast until lightly golden, then spread butter on one side of each piece of bread.
- Placing the buttered side of one slice of bread on a plate, paper towel, or cutting board, start assembling the sandwich. Layer on the mozzarella, sliced peach, basil and bleu cheese (in that order.) Drizzle honey over top of the bleu cheese and then place the other piece of bread on top of the stack, with the buttered side facing up.
- Place sandwich on preheated griddle, cast iron skillet or sauté pan and cook for about three minutes, or until bread is golden-brown. Flip over and cook an additional few minutes, letting the second piece of toast brown just like the first piece. You may want to press the sandwich with a spatula every once in a while to make sure all of the cheese melts.
- Remove from heat and cut sandwich in half. Serve immediately.
Cheese for life.
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like…
- Asiago Chipotle Shrimp Toasts
- Fresh Fig, Prosciutto & Burrata Pizza with Truffle Honey
- Pull-Apart Beer Bread with Comte and Whole Grain Mustard