Instant Pot shredded chicken is the ultimate meal prep recipe. It takes less than 30 minutes to make and is versatile enough to use in different dishes throughout the entire week.
I’m letting you in on a little secret today! That’s right, I’m sharing one of my favorite recipes from my e-cookbook that will set you up for meal prep success throughout the entire week. This Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is sooooo easy and takes almost no ingredients to make. And because it’s so simple, you can dress it up in a multitude of ways – no repeat meals here!
The simplicity of this chicken also makes it a great first food for baby if you’re following baby-led weaning. You can easily control the sodium by simply not adding any salt and season it with whichever herbs and spices you have a hankering to introduce to your child on any given day.
How to Make It
Seriously guys, I can’t think of any recipe that is easier than this one. And for all my Dish Density fans, this is pretty much the LEAST amount of dishes you’ll find in any of my recipes. (ICYMI, I introduced the exciting Dish Density feature on this post last week.) That deserves a lot of celebration, am I right?
All you need to do to make this super simple recipe is throw all of the ingredients into the Instant Pot, turn it on and set a timer [*affiliate link]. That’s it! The real fun comes after the chicken is made, when you get to come up with how you’re going to use it all up.
But don’t worry, I have some ideas for you!
- Throw it on top of a seasonal salad.
- Use it as part of a filling for enchiladas.
- Make tacos.
- Stir it into a soup.
- Put together a simple protein, veggie and grain bowl and top with your favorite healthy dressing.
- Pile it on top of a bun with some BBQ sauce for tasty sliders.
These ideas right here are enough for almost an entire week’s worth of dinners, but I’d love to hear if I missed any creative uses you can think of!
The other great thing about this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is you can totally freeze it! So make it some evening or weekend where you have a 30-minute block of time, and pop it in the freezer for a go-to weeknight meal in the very near future.
If you can totally get down with the freezer meal idea (I mean, what busy parent can’t?), be sure to check out my e-cookbook for 29 more freezer-friendly recipes!
Easiest Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
and is versatile enough to use in different dishes throughout the entire week.
- Instant Pot/pressure cooker
- 2 forks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, as desired
- Combine all ingredients in an Instant Pot. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Hit the “Pressure Cook” button and select High pressure for 10 minutes.
- The Instant Pot will take a while to warm up, then it will
start counting down. Once the timer is done, make sure the valve has switched
to vent to release all the pressure.
- Once all the pressure has been released and the chicken has
cooled slightly, use two forks to shred it. After shredding, pour out any
- Once shredded chicken has cooled completely, place in a
resealable glass container or plastic bag and freeze. You can also separate the
chicken into individual portions before freezing if desired.
- DISH DENSITY: Low
- This is a great way to introduce meat to baby as it has minimal sodium and is easy to gum or chew.
- Use this shredded chicken in a salad, as a filling for enchiladas, in tacos, added to soup, in a grain bowl or on top of a bun with BBQ sauce to make sliders or sandwiches.
- Once cooled, you can freeze this chicken in a glass container or resealable plastic bag for up to 3 months. Just be sure to label it!