I am so excited to share this Mediterranean Smashed Avocado Toast with you today because it’s SUPER easy and the tastiest of tasty…It’s one of those dishes where you take a bite and think, “How can something so simple be so good?” This dish is basically the poster child for my mantra of consuming as many high quality, unprocessed whole foods as possible. When you use only the best for the 5 ingredients involved (yep, you heard that right, just 5 – unless you’re going to make me count the salt), this toast will feel indulgent while it’s really an incredibly healthy treat.
But before we get to that, how was everyone’s weekend? Our June gloom never lifted on Saturday, which made it a bit of a greyish day for my “Bridal Shower 2.0,” but there was lots of both indoor and outdoor space at my sister-in-law’s house so everyone was able to gather round comfortably and we had a blast. I’ll be posting some photos to Instagram in the next couple of weeks so be sure you’re following me to see all of the fun!
That shower marked the end of our “pre-wedding” events so now we just have the big day ahead of us! Yes, we are officially 47 days away. I can hardly believe it’s so close already. We’ll ease into it comfortably though, since we have three weddings to attend before ours. This last month and a half is going to fly by insanely quickly!
All the more reason for us to have some super simple and healthy recipes like this Mediterranean Smashed Avocado Toast to have in our back pocket. So I have to admit, I modeled this recipe after a dish that one of my absolute favorite bakery cafés makes here in Santa Barbara. Our Daily Bread is the “corner bakery” right down the road from our house, and it’s the cutest little spot to grab a basic yet delicious bite to eat, coffee or fresh loaf of bread. I love little gems like these. We go there fairly often when we don’t want a HUGE breakfast but still want something slightly substantial, or if we have just a little time before work on a weekday. Their Smashed Avocado toast is spot on, and you’ll get a fairly good idea of what all it entails when you read through this recipe.
So let’s get to that recipe! As I mentioned, this Mediterranean Smashed Avocado Toast has five, just FIVE ingredients (plus a gimme.) All you need is:
- The best loaf of sourdough bread you can find, preferably fresh and local, ‘cuz that’s how we roll.
- A perfectly ripe avocado
- One big, juicy, red tomato
- Extra-virgin olive oil (again, extra points if it’s local!)
- Dukkah – This is an Egyptian condiment made up of a blend of herbs, nuts and spices. Lucky for us, we don’t have to search far and wide for it – Amazon to the rescue!
The gimme: a sprinkle of Maldon sea salt.
That’s it! Five main ingredients, no cooking involved (unless you count toasting your bread) and you have an incredibly delicious, nutritious breakfast, lunch or snack (it could even pass as dinner on a super-hectic day!) to enjoy in less than 10 minutes. Let’s do it!
So, do me a favor and don’t skip on past this recipe because, well, we all know you have YOUR favorite version of avocado toast. Trust me on this one, you do not want to miss the gloriousness that is Mediterranean Smashed Avocado Toast. It is sooooo good!
Start becoming friends with your local avocado and tomato farmers now, because once you make this once you’re going to be hitting them up for the goods all throughout the summer. You’ve been warned!
Avocado toast is taking the world by storm, but this one tops them all. We take the classic avocado toast and add tomato, feta and dukkah to give it a Mediterranean spin.
- 2 slices of fresh sourdough bread
- 1 avocado
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon dukkah
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sprinkle of Maldon sea salt
- Toast the sourdough slices to desired doneness in a toaster or in the oven.
- While making the toast, scoop the avocado out of its skin into a small bowl and mash up with a fork to make it easily spreadable.
- Spread the avocado onto the sourdough toast. Top with tomato slices then sprinkle on crumbled feta.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the dukkah and olive oil. Drizzle this combination over the assembled toasts. Sprinkle with sea salt. Enjoy immediately!
This post contains affiliate links. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Maybe I’ll just marry this instead 😛
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out these as well: