Delicious, hearty steel-cut oatmeal slow-cooked overnight with turmeric, maca powder, chia seeds and more.
I hope you’re ready for this big bowl of deliciousness. After kicking off this week with Shrimp Ceviche with Papaya, I decided to keep the healthy train going (we’ll see how long it lasts…Actually, I can tell you not long because I have too many delicious St. Patrick’s Day treats to share with you in the next week.) Well, we’ll keep it going for at least one more day, sound good?
Today we’re talking ooey, gooey, warm steel-cut slow cooker oatmeal loaded with delicious superfoods. Seriously, I can’t think of too many more good-for-you ingredients that I could have crammed into this tasty little concoction (okay, I did want to add some spirulina, but I knew that just would NOT be photogenic…at all…and this is a virtual business, after all.) So, what did I include? Let’s see here:
- Cinnamon – speeds up metabolism and stabilizes blood sugar
- Turmeric – fights inflammation and has high antioxidant value
- Maca powder – balances hormones and provides energy
- Coconut oil – improves cholesterol and lowers risk of heart disease
- Coconut milk – see above; also builds muscle and helps lose fat
- Chia seeds – great source of healthy fats and fiber
- Honey – rich source of vitamins and minerals and boosts athletic performance
- Strawberries – boost immunity and great source of fiber and potassium
Are we feeling SUPER good about ourselves yet? Okay, maybe I am because I’ve actually made (and devoured) it, but I have no doubt that you will too once you try this for yourself.
The other great thing about this Slow Cooker Superfood Oatmeal? It’s made in the slow cooker. Overnight. Meaning that if you take just a couple of minutes to throw everything together the night before, your breakfast will be ready for you right when you wake up (that’s right, folks, this oatmeal is perfectly done after 7-8 hours on the low setting of your slow cooker, which, in case you didn’t know, is the recommended amount of sleep for most individuals.) So not only are we putting all of these delicious superfoods into our body, we’re also getting plenty of sleep! Clearly this is a win-win situation.
So what do you say? Are you ready to give this Slow Cooker Superfood Oatmeal a shot? Once you have all of the ingredients on hand, it is really sooooo easy. And to help you obtain these sometimes considered “off-the-wall” ingredients, I’ve made it SUPER easy by including links to where you can find them below. Now you have no excuse. Go forth and conquer this amazing nutri-bomb of a dish!
- My favorite slow cooker
- Steel cut oats
- Coconut milk
- Coconut Beverage
- Maca powder
- Chia seeds
Slow Cooker Superfood Oatmeal
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups coconut beverage
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Turn on low heat for 7-8 hours. If possible, stir once or twice during the cooking process to ensure that all of the ingredients meld together.
- When serving, garnish with more fresh fruit or nuts, if desired.
Superfood city up in here!
Leave a Reply