This Spicy Coconut Corn Shrimp Cocktail is a fancied up version of the classic with a spicy coconut corn dipping sauce. It’s the perfect summertime appetizer for entertaining!
I’m one-upping the classic shrimp cocktail and giving it a summertime spin. Shrimp cocktail has long been a classic holiday or “celebration” food in our household. We bust it out for any occasion when the whole family is gathering together and catching up around a big table of hors d’eouvres, undoubtedly spoiling our carefully prepared dinner (don’t worry, we eat it anyways.) I love shrimp cocktail because it is a delicious, HEALTHY appetizer that you don’t have to worry about eating more than your fair share of. It’s also incredibly easy to prepare, if you should so choose. Pick up some cocktail sauce and pre-cooked shrimp from the grocery store and throw it on a lovely serving platter and you have a classy app that no one will judge you for not being homemade.
But of course, me being me, I had to fancy the dish up a bit and put my own spin on it. And since we’re kicking off summer next week, it’s only appropriate that I give it a warm-weather spin. So here’s what we do to make this incredibly tasty Spicy Coconut Corn Shrimp Cocktail: we marinate uncooked shrimp in a delicious olive oil-garlic-fresh dill concoction, pop it in the oven to cook, and then whip up our spicy coconut corn dipping sauce. Double win: This recipe boasts wayyyy more Spicy Coconut Corn “dipping sauce” than you’ll actually need, so we conveniently rename the leftovers “gazpacho” and have tomorrow’s lunch all figured out already. How’s that sound?
This is another recipe that is going to be a great, healthy option for us in the days leading up to our wedding. In these busy times, it’s more important than ever for us to make sure our health is on point and we’re getting in as many nutrients as possible. Plus, we need to leave room for all of the not-so-healthy party foods we’ll be consuming at all of the events we have leading up to our big day (did I mention that we have THREE weddings to attend before our own in just 45 short days?)
It’s times like these when remembering and finding that balance is so gosh darn important. I fully plan on enjoying myself to the fullest at all of these weddings, because I know that I will make up for it and focus more on healthy, whole foods during the week. Plus, I’m sure I’m not the only one that finds that the more you deprive yourself and say you “can’t” have something, the more you crave it and are likely to go overboard once you give in. Let yourself indulge, don’t feel guilty about it, and get yourself back on track the next day. It’s that easy folks! No rocket science needed here, just a healthy dose of body positivity.
I imagine that this Spicy Coconut Corn Shrimp Cocktail will be a regular contribution for us any time we’re tasked with bringing some sort of food to a party or get-together. It’s a healthy crowd-pleaser that everyone will enjoy, and it really doesn’t take much time to throw together. The longest part of the process is marinating the shrimp, which if you plan in advance is really easy to get together and throw into the refrigerator.
I love that this is a classic dish with JUST the right amount of spin. The perfect combination of sweet corn, creamy coconut and a slight spice from the jalapeno paired with the dill-marinated shrimp will really get your taste buds jumping. You’ll want to hit that Spicy Coconut Corn Shrimp Cocktail platter again, and again, and again and, you know what? You don’t even need to feel guilty about it.
Spicy Coconut Corn Shrimp Cocktail
For the marinated shrimp:
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 of a lime
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 heaping tablespoon fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the Spicy Coconut Corn Cocktail Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 ears of corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 1/4 of a white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- First, marinate the shrimp. Combine all ingredients for the shrimp in a gallon-size resealable plastic bag. Shake to combine and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- While the shrimp is marinating, prepare the Spicy Coconut Corn Cocktail Sauce. In a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Once butter is melted, add corn and onion and sauté until soft and beginning to brown. Remove from heat.
- Combine sautéed corn & onion, jalapeno, coconut milk, salt & pepper in a blender and blend until pureed. Transfer to a covered bowl and place in refrigerator to cool.
- After the shrimp has been marinating for at least 30 minutes, remove from refrigerator. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Pour shrimp out of bag onto pan and bake in 400 degree oven for 6-8 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove shrimp from oven and let cool (it’s okay to put them in the refrigerator as well to expedite the process.)
- Once both shrimp and Spicy Coconut Corn Cocktail Sauce are sufficiently chilled, remove from refrigerator and place on a platter to serve.
It’s a new kind of cocktail.
If you liked this recipe, you might also like these: