It’s sweet, sweet summertime and the produce is easy.
Easy to make a delicious Summer Kale Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette out of! Summer has nearly reached its peak, which means it’s time for me to continue keeping my promise of delivering a delicious kale salad for every season. If you’ve been following along for a little while, you’ll be quite familiar with my love for ALL salads made out of this leafy, fibrous green. I made this Winter Kale Salad back in January, filled with pomegranates, almonds and yummy root vegetables, and in April I whipped together this tasty Spring Kale Salad with Honey-Tahini Dressing, featuring all the green things.
Some may say kale has reached its peak, but I beg to differ. Kale is such a huge nutritional powerhouse that I’m confident it will be a fixture in healthy food fiends’ diets for years to come. After all, how can you turn down something so good (and so good for you?) There are endless possibilities with kale, and you can bet you’ll be seeing a lot more recipes popping up here starring this delicious superfood.
So, what fruits and veggies made the cut for this Summer Kale Salad? Let’s see here. We roasted up some beets as well as one of my FAVORITE summer season vegetables – padron peppers! Seriously, I can never get enough of them. Well, maybe that one time I ate an entire bowl to myself in one sitting, but I made a quick recovery after the heartburn passed the next day. You have to when these tasty bites are only available for a few months out of the year! I also had to throw in some nicely sautéed corn, because corn = summertime. Same goes for fresh peaches and heirloom tomatoes. We want them anyway we can get them while the getting’s hot.
Even though this kale salad is full of lots of big flavor, I’d be remiss in not mentioning some of the little things that really take this salad from “good” to “amazing!” We’re talking green onions, shallots, goat cheese and macadamia nuts. They seem like little, meaningless touches but they pack a HUGE punch. Trust me on this one.
Finally, we finish everything off with a tangy grapefruit vinaigrette, which is simply fresh grapefruit juice, olive oil, oregano and the usual salt and pepper. So easy! You hardly need to call it a dressing. Maybe an accoutrement?
One thing I absolutely love about kale salads is that they hold up well (and tend to get even better) over time. You’ll notice a huge difference between a freshly dressed kale salad and one that’s been marinating in its dressing overnight. And, if you’re into meal prep, you’ll find that this kale salad is the perfect dish to add to your weekly rotation. Prep extra beets, corn and peppers to use in grain salads, as side dishes with simple grilled chicken, or even as quick and easy snacks on their own.
Finally, feel free to use some creative license here. This Summer Kale Salad is completely adaptable, so feel free to swap in different fruits or vegetables. Sometimes it’s best to just see what your local Farmer’s Market is showing off that week.
Basically, you have no reason not to run and make this Summer Kale Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette this week. Healthy, so tasty and full of nutrients…What’s not to love?
- 2 beets peeled and diced
- 6 ounces padron peppers stems removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch kale cut off the rib and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 small shallot sliced
- 1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup macadamia nuts chopped
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 yellow peach thinly sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- ¼ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- ½ cup avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- First, roast the beets and the peppers. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Combine beets and peppers in a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Pour onto prepared jelly roll pan and place in preheated oven. Roast beets and peppers for 20 minutes, or until beets can be easily pierced with a fork and peppers have charred slightly. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While beets and peppers are cooking, prepare the corn. Place a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and corn, cooking until corn has started turning golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While vegetables are cooling, prepare the other ingredients for the salad. In a large salad bowl, combine kale, shallot, tomatoes, macadamia nuts, green onions, peach and goat cheese. Once other vegetables have cooled, add those as well.
- Finally, make the dressing. If you have a mason jar with a lid, combine all ingredients in the jar, put the lid on, and shake to combine. If you do not have a mason jar, simply add all of the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk vigorously to combine. Add dressing to salad right away and toss to combine.
This salad can be enjoyed immediately, but for best results, let marinate for a few hours or overnight before serving.