Double Pumpkin Curry with Shrimp
An aromatic, warming curry featuring both pureed and fresh pumpkin and fresh shrimp, perfect for the cool fall weather.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- ½ large yellow onion diced
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 small pie pumpkin peeled, seeded and cubed
- 4 teaspoons madras curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 small or 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 15- ounce can pumpkin
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 14- ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 10 ounces raw shrimp tails removed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
In a Dutch oven, warm olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until mixture begins to turn translucent and becomes fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Add cubed pumpkin, curry powder, cayenne and diced tomatoes, stir to combine and let cook for an additional 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
Add canned pumpkin, broth and coconut milk to mixture. Stir to combine and bring to a heavy simmer. Add shrimp and continue to simmer for at least 8-10 minutes more, or until shrimp turns pink and opaque.
While curry is simmering, make your roux. In a small microwave safe dish, melt butter, then whisk in the flour. Add to curry and stir to thicken. The mixture will continue to get thicker the longer it sits.
Serve immediately or let simmer on very low heat until ready to serve.
- To make the pumpkin serving vessel: Cut the top off of a medium pie pumpkin and scoop out the seeds. Drizzle one to two tablespoons of olive oil inside the pumpkin and roast in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until it feels tender enough to scoop out with a spoon or fork. Ladle finished curry into pumpkin before serving. You could also use a few small pie pumpkins to make individual servings.
- Wine Pairing Note: This curry has a little bit of spice, so a fragrant varietal such as Riesling or Gewurtztraminer would be a perfect pairing for the dish. These tend to have a touch of sweetness to them, which will help balance out the spice.
Calories: 626kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 29g | Cholesterol: 229mg | Sodium: 760mg | Potassium: 1937mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 47580IU | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 252mg | Iron: 11mg