Hazelnut Pesto Caprese Couscous
A fun, healthy take on the classic caprese salad featuring Israeli couscous, peak season heirloom tomatoes and delicious hazelnut pesto.
Servings: 6 people
For the pesto:
- 2 cups fresh basil
- ¼ cup hazelnuts toasted
- 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of ½ of a large lemon
- ¾ cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
All other ingredients:
- 2 cups cooked Israeli couscous cook according to package directions
- 5 medium heirloom tomatoes cut into thin wedges
- 8 ounces ciliegine mozzarella
- Salt to taste
Place all pesto ingredients except olive oil in a food processor or blender. Pulse until mixture begins to come together, then stream in the olive oil while the processor or blender is running. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, combine couscous, tomatoes and mozzarella. Stir in pesto and season with salt if needed. Enjoy or refrigerate until ready to eat!
- Feel free to try other grains (such as quinoa and farro) in place of the couscous. You could also go with a classic pasta.
- If using couscous, Israeli couscous will give you a heartier texture while standard couscous will be more light and fluffy. Feel free to use either based on your preference!
- You can also sub in any kind of nut you prefer (or have on hand) for the hazelnuts in the pesto.
- Feel free to cook the couscous up to two days in advance and prepare the pesto up to a few hours in advance.
Calories: 445kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 36mg | Potassium: 330mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1276IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 171mg | Iron: 1mg