Easy Peasy Lettuce Wraps
This recipe for Easy Peasy Lettuce Wraps is great for a busy weeknight. You can substitute any type of protein so it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Servings: 4 people
For the filling:
- 2 tablespoons coconut or avocado oil
- 1 pound ground turkey or any other ground, chopped or minced protein of your choice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 jalapeño, minced optional
- 1/2 cup hoisin
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1-2 tablespoons sambal oelek depending on your spice preference
- 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped both green and white parts
- 3/4 cup unsalted cashews, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Anything else that sounds good! (More jalapeño, chopped tomato, avocado, etc.)
- Large romaine or butter lettuce leaves
Heat oil in large, deep skillet or wok (if you have one.) Add ground meat (or tofu) and stir until just starting to brown. Add garlic and jalapeño (if using); continue to stir until all meat is lightly browned and garlic and jalapenos become fragrant.
Add hoisin, sesame oil, sambal oelek and maple syrup, stir until combined.
Stir in water chestnuts and green onions, let simmer for a few minutes to let everything meld together.
Right before serving, stir in toasted cashews. Garnish with cilantro (and anything else your heart desires.)
Serve with lettuce leaves.
- Feel free to use any protein you prefer in this recipe: ground turkey, ground chicken, ground beef or bison, or even shrimp or tofu.
- Adjust the level of spice to your liking by omitting the jalapeño and adjusting the amount of sambal oelek.
- You can make the filling for the lettuce wraps up to two days in advance and store it covered in the refrigerator.
Calories: 434kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 704mg | Potassium: 562mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 261IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 3mg