Butternut Squash, Bacon and Goat Cheese Spanish Tortilla
A classic Spanish tortilla with a fall twist, featuring butternut squash instead of potatoes, creamy goat cheese, fresh sage and crispy bacon.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 of a medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces creamy goat cheese
- 4 ounces cooked bacon, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh sage and thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Maldon sea salt, for finishing
Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add butternut squash and onion and let cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to turn golden and squash has softened to fork tender.
While squash and onions are cooking, combine all other ingredients (except Maldon sea salt) in a large mixing bowl. Once squash and onions are cooked, add them to the mixing bowl, tossing to coat.
Transfer contents back to the large nonstick saute pan and place back on medium heat. Let cook, without stirring, until mixture begins to set, and doesn’t jiggle too much when you shake the pan.
Turn broiler on high and place nonstick pan in oven. Broil on high for 5-7 minutes, or until the top of the tortilla becomes fully set and golden-brown. Remove from oven (be sure to use a potholder) and sprinkle with Maldon sea salt. Serve warm.
- Feel free to customize your Spanish tortilla by swapping in your choice of protein, cheese, starch and fresh herbs and seasonings.
- To freeze your Spanish tortilla, first let it cool completely, then slice it into individual portions. Freeze the portions individually in plastic wrap or resealable glass containers.
- To serve your frozen Spanish tortilla, simply pop it into the oven or microwave until warmed through.
Calories: 284kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 149mg | Sodium: 536mg | Potassium: 279mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 5626IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 2mg