This two-cheese grilled cheese is sweet, salty and savory and perfectly showcases all of its fresh ingredients. It also comes together in less than 20 minutes for a simple, family-friendly lunch or dinner!
How to make a grilled cheese taste even better? Add slices of fresh peach and chopped fresh basil, more than one type of cheese, and a healthy drizzle of honey, that’s how!
If you’ve ever had my Avocado Toast with Halloumi, Asiago Chipotle Shrimp Toasts or Goat Cheese, Apricot and Pistachio Crostini, you know I can easily get behind any dish that’s served up on a good piece of bread. And if it’s family-friendly AND takes almost no time to make like this recipe? Sold!!
Here’s what you need to know.
Why This Recipe Works
- It’s super-tasty because it hits on all the best flavor profiles – sweet, savory and salty!
- It comes together in less than 20 minutes.
- There’s minimal cooking involved, making it great for hot and/or busy days.
- The entire family will love it for either lunch or dinner.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Hearty sliced bread – While you could certainly use ANY type of bread in this recipe, I’m a huge proponent of something heartier that you actually have to slice yourself. I’ve used both multigrain and sourdough, and they’ve both turned out fantastic.
Butter – If you’ve ever made grilled cheese before, you know this is a key ingredient! Some grilled cheese aficionados also swear by mayonnaise to coat the bread before cooking. I kept it classic, but I’ll leave that decision up to you.
Fresh basil – This adds a tasty and invigorating touch to an already flavor-packed sandwich.
Sliced fresh peaches – Summer is the perfect time of year to take advantage of juicy, fresh peaches. Make sure yours are perfectly ripe to add the very best flavor to your sandwich.
Sliced mozzarella – Using sliced mozzarella lends a caprese-like flavor to this sandwich. It also melts beautifully, which can’t be said for all cheeses.
Crumbly blue cheese – This adds the perfect salty touch and depth of flavor to your grilled cheese.
Honey – Don’t skip this! It’s the perfect touch of sweetness and makes the sandwich feel like an extra-special treat.
The trickiest part of making this recipe is stacking all of the ingredients so the flavors meld just-so.
Before you even turn on your stove, give your bread a little extra warmth and crunch by toasting it ever-so-lightly in the toaster. While it’s still warm, slather the butter on one side of each piece of bread.
Once your bread is buttered, flip it over (so the buttered side is face down on the plate) and begin assembling the sandwich. On each piece of bread, first stack the mozzarella, then the peach slices, then the blue cheese, then the basil, and then drizzle on the honey.
Carefully close the sandwich and then warm up a small skillet.
Once your skillet is warm, place your prepared sandwich on it. Over medium heat, cook the sandwich on both sides until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
Let cool slightly and enjoy!
You can use any bread! I love the extra chewiness and crunch you get from using thicker slices of bread, but feel free to use whatever you prefer or have on hand.
Sure! I love the extra saltiness the blue cheese brings to this sandwich, so to keep that same flavor profile you could try some crumbled feta or even goat cheese.
Always. Fresh tomatoes would be perfect, or you could use another type of stone fruit like apricots. Strawberries would also be a great substitute and they are much easier to find year-round.
Making this recipe in advance is not recommended. It’s best served right after it’s cooked when everything is still warm and gooey.
More Recipes Like This
Savory Pretzel Bread Pudding with Cheddar, Apples and Sausage
Mediterranean Smashed Avocado Toast
Herbed Cherry and Ricotta Crostini
Watermelon Caprese Salad with Prosciutto
Tried this recipe and loved it?? Be sure to leave a comment and five-star rating in the recipe card below!
Honey, Peach & Basil Two-Cheese Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices hearty multigrain or sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 2.5 ounces sliced yellow peach
- 8 fresh basil leaves cut in a chiffonade
- 1 ounce crumbled blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Place a griddle, cast iron skillet or sauté pan on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Place bread in toaster and toast until lightly golden, then spread butter on one side of each piece of bread.
- Placing the buttered side of one slice of bread on a plate, paper towel, or cutting board, start assembling the sandwich. Layer on the mozzarella, sliced peach, basil and bleu cheese (in that order.) Drizzle honey over top of the bleu cheese and then place the other piece of bread on top of the stack, with the buttered side facing up.
- Place sandwich on preheated griddle, cast iron skillet or sauté pan and cook for about three minutes, or until bread is golden-brown. Flip over and cook an additional few minutes, letting the second piece of toast brown just like the first piece. You may want to press the sandwich with a spatula every once in a while to make sure all of the cheese melts.
- Remove from heat and cut sandwich in half. Serve immediately.
- Feel free to mix and match any cheeses for this recipe! Goat cheese or feta would be great substitutes for the blue cheese. Brie, Swiss or Fontina cheese would be great substitutes for the mozzarella.
- You can also substitute something for the fresh peaches if you can’t find them or they’re not in season. Try tomatoes, apricots or even strawberries.
- While you can use any bread for this recipe, I highly recommend a heartier loaf for extra crunch and chew.
- This sandwich is best enjoyed immediately after making it!
Leave a Reply