Whether you’re facing a bout of snow days, a widespread virus, or anything else that’s forcing you inside with your little ones for days at a time, here’s a list of 37 recipes you can easily make together to keep everyone happy and entertained. (Look for the * for recipes that are especially baby- and toddler-friendly!)
Recipes to Cook With Your Kids
Ways to Get Your Kid Involved in the Cooking Process
You may be thinking, “Sure, these recipes are all great, but how do I actually get my kid(s) involved?” Here are a few ideas for different ages:
- Let them add ingredients to a mixing bowl
- Have them stir ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Let them space things out on a baking sheet
- Allow them to prepare simple ingredients, like cutting softer items with toddler-friendly knives or shelling peas or edamame
- This is a great time to give them a pair of tongs and let them practice their hand-eye coordination by trying to grab something
- Have them squeeze citrus
- TIP: Pre-measure out all your ingredients before starting to cook or bake with your toddler. Things will run much more smoothly this way!
- Have them measure out your ingredients for you
- Allow them to prep your baking vessel – whether by spraying on cooking spray or lining a cupcake tin with muffin liners
- Continue to allow them to cut things using age-appropriate knives
- Let them pour things into a vessel through a funnel
- Have them wash produce
- Ask them to retrieve ingredients out of the refrigerator or pantry for you
- Have them dice or mince ingredients for you
- Let them go through the entire process of adding ingredients, stirring and transferring to the proper cooking vessel
- Teach them how to safely use the oven and stove
- Allow them to come up with the menu for a meal!
- Let them season meat and teach them about proper raw food handling techniques
I’d love to hear your favorite recipes or tips for cooking with kids in the comments below!